Playa Vista Elementary School (PVES) is a truly exceptional school. Our mission, in partnership with our community and Loyola Marymount University, is high achievement for all through a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) education.
PVES is a Leader in Energy and Environmental Design or LEED School. The LEED elements on our campus range from an educational garden to recycled concrete used in the construction of our school. As a Platinum LEED school, students in kindergarten through fifth grade, receive ten hours of instruction around different LEED elements.
We are the STEM Demonstration School for Loyola Marymount University. Pre-service teachers come to us for both a university class and to complete their student teaching. While here they learn best practices in lesson integration and STEM education. Our students benefit from this partnership by participating in an innovative curriculum developed in collaboration with LMU, by having teachers that are on the cutting edge of student centered pedagogy, and by having a reduced student/teacher ratio within the classroom.
Part of what makes PVES an exceptional place to learn are the partnerships we have formed with our community. One integral partnership is with the Friends of Ballona Wetlands. We collaborate with the Friends’ docents to create lessons and field studies that align with the Next Generation Science Standards and are based in the Ballona Wetlands and Discovery Park. These real-world experiences engage students and create an excitement for learning.
Our mission here at PVES is High achievement for all through STEM.
We will accomplish our mission by implementing our vision of:
- Developing and implementing an integrated STEM curriculum that is student centered and incorporates:
- Inquiry lessons
- Project Based Learning
- Our outdoor classroom
- Real world application
- Hands on learning
- LEED lessons
- Embracing technology to support student learning
- Monitoring student learning through the use of formative assessments
- Securing student success through differentiated instruction for:
- Advanced learners through breadth and complexity
- Struggling learners through re-teaching and reinforcement
- Ensuring vertical alignment between grade levels
- Collaborating with our partners:
- Loyola Marymount University SOE
- Friends of Ballona Wetlands
- Playa Vista Community